play phone device-mobile location2 search plus dash down_arrow cross chevron-down chevron-up chevron-left calendar device-camera

About us

Frederick Roberts Gerard began racing in a Riley in 1933. Affectionately known as 'Mr Bob' both in the office and in racing circles, he made his name in the immediate post war era in a privately supported ERA car. Referred to by his contemporaries as the 'Gentleman of Motor Racing' he competed in and won numerous trials including the Ulster Trophy in 1947 and the British Empire Trophy on the Isle of Man on three separate occasions. He went on to finish in second place at Silverstone in the 1949 British Grand Prix. He continued his career in Cooper - Bristols and competed in most British rounds of the World Championship until 1957. He retired as a racing driver in 1961 but continued entering cars until the early eighties.

Bob Gerard was a highly revered racing driver, one of his accolades to the sport include his name being dedicated to a Corner of Mallory Park Racing Circuit in Leicestershire known as 'Gerards'.

The Gerard name has a business history running back to the 1880's when Bob Gerard's forefathers initially traded under the name of Parrs Ltd, producing cycles and even a car in 1900. Bob Gerard was at the helm of the business from the mid fifties, establishing Bob Gerard Cars Ltd.

In 1974 'Mr Bob' continued to have a leading role in partnership with his long term friend and business colleague Roy Moore, holding the Honda franchise for Leicestershire through to 1995. Bob Gerard Ltd has held many different franchises over the years including Austin, AC, Bristol, ERF, Foden, Bond, Dodge, Renault, Skoda and Daf, occupying numerous sites throughout Leicestershire.

Bob Gerard's death in 1990, and the retirement of Roy Moore in 1995 saw the Honda franchise taken over by a large motor group. This was common practice throughout the motor industry as the manufactures wanted big PLC's not Family Businesses to reign.

Today Roy's son Anthony, daughter JoAnn and son in law Martin Charles run the business from our showroom in Great Glen, Leicestershire.

2014 saw our 40th anniversary with involvement in the Honda Brand of cars, initially for a period of 21 years as Leicestershire's franchised dealer and for the last 20 years as a totally independent importer. Together with this we were appointed with the Daihatsu franchise in 2007, and Isuzu franchise in 2009.

The ethic of the business has always been dynamic, endeavouring to give customers a courteous and professional service, delivering value for money and adapting to the current trends and customer needs. We continue to strive to achieve this aim in today's ever-changing and demanding market place and look forward to your future custom for many years to come.